Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Week One

In the first week of observing my microaquarium I saw more organisms than I thought I would. I have pond 6 and inside of it I added Plant A and Plant B along with a red leaf that was sitting in the pond water. I noticed that a lot of the moving organisms seemed to be feeding off the stationary plants. There was also a wide variety in size, color, and speed in the organisms that I observed. Thes were some that I found:
The Springtail; I found the springtail near the middle and it was jumping around. It wasn't green so it had to have fed off Plant A or B in order to survive. I only spotted one, but since it was moving so fast, I don't really have a way of knowing how many there was.
Coleps; I found the coleps near the bottom and it moved in circles relative to it's place. It didn't go far at all. It is a multicellular organism and it had no chloropyll. I spotted a few of these among the sediment of the bottom of the microaquarium. The coleps was gray and was to described to me as looking like a pinecone. It was round with two small tenticles coming out of it's head.
Desmids; I saw the H looking desmid is a high abundance. It seemed to be multicellular because although these organisms seemed to transparent, 3 green dots where always seen across the middle of them. This led me to believe that they were not only multicellular, but also had chloropyhll in them allowing them to go through photosynthesis. They mostly were stationary but I found the majority of them near the bottom, but they were also found in the middle and at the top.
WaterFleas; I saw one waterflea and it was attached to the one of the plants in the microaquarium. It's legs were moving fast yet it's body as a whole never moved. It didn't appear to be green (containing chloropyhll) but I only caught a glimpse of it's underside. I found this in the middle of the aquarium and was probably the coolest organism I have observed yet.
Difflugia Protists; I found these near the top and some dispersed throughout the middle. They were multicellular yet they did not move. They also weren't green which means they probably contained no chlorophyll.
Filaments; The filaments that I found were either, just that, filaments, or they were rod shaped desmids. Not being very familiar with these organisms made it hard to distinguish which one it was. They were green and multicelluar. I saw a lot of them and they were mostly near the bottom.
Some other things I observed but I am unsure if I identified them correctly were:
A diatom; this was a skinny half moon shaped organism with two dots in the middle. They were not green and they were stationary. Compared to the other organisms which I had seen, they were very small. I found them lurking around the bottom.
Moldspores or Volvox; I saw 3 rather large green organisms or cells ( not sure if it was a group or not) with 2 identical cells under them. It looked like a bowling pin shape but with only 6 green cells/organisms. They were fond not moving near the bottom.
Blesphrasima Cillia; These were rod shaped (bacilla) and brown. They were near the red leaf that I put into my aquarium. I see saw 3 of them. Since they were brown I doubt they had chloropyhll in them.
These were the things that I saw in the first week. I expect that next week I will see more organisms and that they will have travelled maybe out of their section. I also expect some of the organisms to be larger than what I originally saw.

No comments: