Thursday, October 30, 2008

2nd Week Viewing 10/28






































From just looking at the aquarium with the naked eye you can tell that the water isn't as clear and there are hair-like things seen in it. But when looking at it under the microscope, a lot more organisms can be found in the middle than before. Most of them are very small. I also found more small organisms near the bottom most of them being the H looking diatoms I mentioned before. The H diatoms seem to be growing more rapidly towards the bottom because I found a little more near the top but not nearly as much as in the bottom. There was a lot more variety in this viewing. The small organisms that I found to be more abundant were just in the pond water and weren't really near the plants. I did find more larger organisms to be near the plants though, compared to last week. I took a few pictures and they'll help me decribe to you what I saw.


The first picture



That last picture was an example of all the new organisms that were present that weren't really there last week. These were found in the middle. You can see that there's a few diatoms. The bigger organism seems to be a flatworm. It's multicellular and it was clear so no cholorplasts or photosynthesis seemed to be going on. The flatworm was moving in a slow, sliding motion but it always came back to the plant. The diatoms stayed in place and are unicellular. Some were green and some were brown.



The second to last picture, the one on the far right,that I have was one that I found to be most interesting. It is an amoeba laucteus or and amoeba proteus. On the inside of this amoeba were many organisms. The amoeba had engulfed them into it's membrane. Once they went in, they could not get out. The amoeba was clear, leading me to believe that it had only a membrane and had no cell structure. It moved freely and was constantly changing form. No photosynthesis was occuring unless it was being done by the organisms that the amoeba had consumed.






















No comments: